Wednesday, April 16, 2008

Quietus


http://www.civilwarhome.com/chancellorsvillebattledescrpt.htm


This photo depicts the bodies of confederate soldiers although according to the article, the battle of Chancellorsville was won by the Confederates even though they were far outnumbered. In this picture, whether intentional or simply came to be through the aging of the photograph, the observer notices that there is a strong contrast in value between light and dark. As you can see the left of the image is very bright and easy to make out while the right side is very dark and dimmed; unsure. Seeing that all of the fallen guns point in one direction, it seems the Confederates had emerged from the right side of this image depicting the dark nature of their cause. The wall symbolizing the barrier between the two sides- the side fighting for equality and freedom and another fighting for whatever selfish reasons they could muster. For some reason when I looked at this picture, the rifles on the ground were a strong focal point and to me, the way they lay on the ground seems almost awkward. It seems like a line of people just walked up and gently placed them on the ground or as you can see one just leaning against the wall. I think this is only awkward to me because war in those times was far more orderly than the war we see today. I guess it's strange for me to see order in a realm where I imagine pure chaos. I think the trees in the background provide a significant symbol also. The trees on the right seem full of life and have plenty of leaves while the trees on the left, which is where most of the battle I believed occurred, are lifeless and naked. This further emphasizes the factor of death even in a civilized war.

No comments: