Thursday, May 8, 2008

Push it to the Limit

I remember sitting in my 4th grade classroom. Mrs. Jones was my teacher. I remember a sign up on her wall. Of course, every elementary school teacher had posters up on their walls listing off study methods or the scientific method or maybe corny sayings like "reach for the stars." Her's was different though, for some reason it stuck out, popped out in my mind, engraved in my memory. It simply said "You can make a difference."

At first I had no idea how to address this category of pushing my blog to the limit. I mean there are so many possibilities. I could make videos or attach songs or pictures or websites but I wanted something different; something that would pop out. And by pop out I mean: come to life. I wanted to push the limit of blogging by specifically summoning each person who reads it to become a part of it. I wanted my blog to become a part of your life. So very simply I’m going to ask you (the reader reading these very words) to form a new habit. One that hopefully you will use your entire life.

I want you to go out into the world, anywhere, you can go to lunch or just go about on your normal schedule. But today I want you to see. I want you to look around and see everyone around you. Study them; try to understand who they are. Ask yourself why the girl in the corner gave up her seat for a friend or why the guy at the entrance is holding the door open for complete strangers. See the basic good in people. And once you can see, here’s the hard part. You’re going to make a difference.

I want you to do three things today.

1. 1. Give a compliment

2. 2. Help somebody

3. 3. Give something to someone

I know this sounds corny and stupid but just try it. Just do it and get it out of your way. Now from this day forward here’s your new habit. Every time somebody gives you a compliment, you’re going to help and give something to someone. Whenever someone helps you, you’re going to give a compliment and give something to someone. And whenever someone gives something to you, you’re going to give a compliment and help somebody. So basically if someone gives you number 1, you’re going to do the other two. Now remember to do these things you have to see everything around you, your environment, and then you will notice when people are in need.

Be a soldier. Fight for something: the good in people.

You can make a difference

No comments: